Over the weekend I was sitting reading my favourite magazine, Inc. Every time I pick it up I get inspired, I dream, I scribble my thoughts down on paper. I feel totally pumped and giddy with excitement and possibility.
What was unique about this past weekend is that when I turned a page of the magazine and it opened to a picture of a woman and my gut reaction was “I want to be in this magazine.”
Truthfully, YOU COULDN’T HAVE PAID ME TO DECLARE, in public, the thought that I actually WANT to be in Inc. magazine.
But my truth is, I do.
I now realize that to live my best life, I need to be specific about what I want, vs just sitting in the passenger seat.
Knowing what I want, putting it out there and owning it forces me to step it up, play big and trust.
The truth is, I want to be featured for the incredible impact my company has had on supporting and giving the tools to women to live THEIR version of success.
I want to be featured for the leveraged growth my company has experienced as a result of the impact my (but will soon be ‘our’) work has had on others.
The reality is that my company’s growth is correlated to the number of women served. It is an outlet for women to plug into to become really clear about what they want in work and in life, and to have these priorities become their results.
I now know there’s NO SHAME in being ambitious!
In my ‘previous life’, I would have shied away from what I could have been interpreted as an ‘ego driven comment’. Giving people the chance to say “Who does she think she is”, “She’s not that great.”, you know the responses I’m talking about, etc….
I would have been so worried of being judged for thinking I was good enough to be acknowledged in a magazine like Inc.
The irony, is that it’s not about my ego at all.
Aspiring for something big forces me to play and perform outside of my comfort zone. To be honest, if I am never profiled in the magazine, that’s fine, but what I do know is
So how will I do it? I truly don’t know EXACTLY how I’m going to get to my final destination but here are a few points that can help both you and I get there:
1. BE CLEAR ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT: Stop being vague, and get really specific about what it is you WANT and are working towards. You don’t have to shout it out from the top of the mountain, or declare it to a group of strangers, but it’s important for you to get really clear.
2. BE PURPOSEFUL: Keep identifying at least one BOLD action that will move you towards your goal, AND DO IT! This is just one step on your journey. These actions will build on each other. You can also ask yourself, “What’s the consequence if I DON’T take this action?”
- TELL SOMEONE: Share it with a supportive colleague, a peer, a partner etc… by putting it out there to the right people, it will keep you more accountable to actually working towards it vs just thinking about it.
- HAVE A VISUAL REMINDER: It’s so easy to get bogged down in your day-to-day. That’s why it is so important to have a visual reminder of your goal. Maybe it’s a word on your screen saver, or like me, I have it framed on my desk. Just keeps me focused.
4. LEARN FROM THE BEST: Do not waste your time reinventing the wheel, figuring it out alone. Do you know someone who has done something similar? Invite them for a coffee, be authentic and interested in their journey. Is there an expert that you can hire to leverage their experience? Learn from the best!
Is there something that you are ready to declare? An aspiration you want to own? To put it out there? I really encourage you to do it right here, right now. Stop wishing for it quietly and put it out there so that you can start taking action to make it happen.
I’d love to hear from you!
On a side note, my upcoming Planning Workshop is booked! There are no more seats at the table. I am really looking forward to meeting some of you!